Sr. Software Engineer
Houston, TX Posted: 1/10/2019
The Sr. Software Engineer is responsible for working on assigned projects and technical initiatives in an efficient/effective manner. The Sr. Software Engineer must possess a high degree of technical knowledge regarding software development and associated technology tools primarily using Oracle PL/SQL.
The individual is expected to be able to code as necessary, perform detailed analysis on data structures, data integration, and existing and new applications systems.
Essential Functions/Principal Accountabilities:
- Provide application development, enhancements, modifications, performance tuning, and support services for assigned projects.
- Work with IS technical resources to provide high availability monitoring and maintenance for assigned applications.
- Understand a given software project "end-to-end" specifically beginning with Business Requirements, then the appropriate Data Architecture and corresponding User Interface (UI), and culminating with finished information products such as Web Viewers, Reports, Data Entry Applications, Interfaces to Other Systems, Graphical Outputs or Data Marts.
- Prepare specifications for new applications, enhancements, modifications, and support issues. Also, prepare application documentation as required.
- Develop and support data models and a data dictionary that supports the business requirements for tactical and strategic information products.
Position will be filled at a level commensurate with experience.
- 5+ years of experience in Oracle backend database development utilizing packages, procedures, function, triggers and Oracle user defined types.
- 2+ years of experience in data warehousing and big data products
- Strong Data Warehousing experience, Oracle partitioning, Collection objects, data extraction, data transformation and data ingestion pipelines.
- Strong Oracle PL/SQL skills (strong knowledge of Oracle 9i/10g/11g)
- Strong Oracle Performance tuning skills (SQL tuning)
- Strong knowledge of common Oracle tools (PL/SQL Developer, TOAD, SQLPlus) and other mpp/columnar databases (Teradata, Netezza, MemSQL, Redshift)
- Strong experience with Big Data technologies like Hadoop, Spark, Python, hive, sqoop
- Working experience with Unix/Linux and shell scripting
- Familiarity with Oracle RAC preferred.
- Familiarity with VPD (Virtual Private Database) is a big plus.
- Familiarity with AWS or Cloud Technology
- Should possess excellent written and oral communication skills
- Should have data analysis skills to debug, trace and fix problems.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred. Degree in Management Information Systems or Computer Science preferred. High school diploma or GED required.
- Oil and Gas Industry experience preferred
- Required to be on-call during work and off-hours as necessary
- May travel when necessary for system implementation and training
- Provide maintenance and support of the Oracle backend
- Interactively work with BA’s in requirements gathering for all assigned projects.
- Ability to build ER Diagrams for new tables.
- Proficient in working with : Collection objects, Nested Tables, Record types, Cursors, Ref Cursors, Views, Materialized Views, Partitions, FORALL, Bulk Collect, Regular Expressions, Triggers, Instead Of Triggers, Autonomous Transactions.
- Design or background with one or more data extraction transformation processes (ETL)
- Ability to write complex stored procedures/triggers, functions using PL/SQL to optimize processes performance with the goal to reduce processing time
- Tune complex queries utilizing Indexes, Hints, and Explain Plan, to improve the performance of the application.
- Involved in writing technical specs, unit test results, and user acceptance test scenarios for each project.
- Directly interact with business users during UAT to provide support and solicit feedback for the purpose of improving the quality of the finished application.
- Provide support for all applications
EOG Resources is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer including Vets and Disabled.
Equal Employment is the Law
Requests for Accommodation
Individuals with a disability who wish to request an accommodation to complete an employment application, please Click here or call 713-571-4766.
Already have an account? Log in here